Monday, July 2, 2012

Ultimate Edition Linux 3.4 has been released

Ultimate Edition 3.4, now based on Ubuntu 12.04 and featuring the GNOME 3 desktop, has been released: "Ultimate Edition 3.4 was built off Ubuntu 12.04 'Precise Pangolin'. All updates fully applied, old kernels purged, new initrd and vmlinuz rebuilt. Ultimate Edition 3.4 is what 2.6 series was - a stable environment. GNOME, the default environment is rock solid. Ultimate Edition 3.4 has a new GTK+ 3 theme and a comprehensive set of software packages. I have really placed thought and diligence into what this product is. Ultimate Edition 3.4 takes things to a whole new level. It was developed with stability in mind, sorry KDE users, we will catch you in Ultimate Edition 3.5. This OS will be my primary OS for some time to come. That statement alone says a lot for my feeling on this operating system."

 
Ultimate Edition, first released in December 2006, is a fork of Ubuntu and Linux Mint. The goal of the project is to create a complete, seamlessly integrated, visually stimulating, and easy-to-install operating system. Single-button upgrade is one of several special characteristics of this distribution. Other main features include custom desktop and theme with 3D effects, support for a wide range of networking options, including WiFi and Bluetooth, and integration of many extra applications and package repositories.

1 comment:

  1. Just tried this as a live usb install.

    Pro's: it picked up my Broadcom wifi chip with no problems and connected the net.

    Cons: It set my screen res to 1024x768 instead of the correct 1366x768. It also crashed, and crashed, and crashed.

    I didn't really use it long enough to thoroughly test it, because in the process of trying to turn off all the spinny sparkly wiggly jiggly flashy twirly crap, it crashed on me more than once. The entire taskbar and menu's disappeared and I had to alt+REISUB to reboot.

    Is this really what people want in an OS? Seriously?

    Good God, this would have given an epileptic a seizure.

    I know the dev's have put a lot of work into this, and maybe I'll give it another shot. But I think there should be a "lite" edition with a lot of the eye-candy left out.

    I guess I'm not the typical Linux user. I just want to have a functional desktop and get stuff done like I did in Gnome2.

    As for me, I think UE has potential, but I'll be sticking with Xubuntu for now because it may not be flashy, but it's fast and it just plain works.

    ReplyDelete